Sunday, July 21, 2019

Something Different From The Workshop

We suffered a serious wind storm a couple of years ago. We lost a big Ash tree and a neighbor lost a Bradford Pear tree. This afforded me the opportunity to build a sizeable wood pile that we have gotten two winter's of fires out of.

A while back I broke the handle on a small tack hammer and rather than trying to find a new handle or buy a new hammer I went to the wood pile to find a piece of ash to fashion a new one.

One of the pieces I picked turned out to be from the pear tree. Once I began cutting it down on the table saw I found the grain to be very tight, fine and dense.

Maybe not appropriate for hammer handles but I sooner came up with an idea. A hand made chessboard!


I carefully cut some 80 pieces knowing that not all of them will be suitable for use. I was correct as many of them warped and cracked as they dried further.

I carefully sorted and numbered the remaining pieces and arranged them in alternating grain directions.


I then seperated out every other piece for staining.


Once the stain dried I rearranged the pieces and glued them in place to a piece hard board.


This was then lightly sanded, a little touch up staining done and then finished with multiple coats of laquer. The hammer in the background is the one that got the new ash handle, French laquer and a fresh coat of paint on the head.


I wasn't quite satisfied with this look so I fashioned some edging pieces from the same pear wood and added a few more coats of laquer.


The chess set itself belonged to my late brother and dates to about 1950. Both the board and set now comfortably reside in a corner of my library.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are of course welcome. Please stay on topic. Comments with links to commercial sites unrelated to the post or the general theme of this blog will be deleted as spam.