Thursday, August 11, 2016

Is Hillary Clinton Going To Have A Richard Nixon Moment?

I will always remember sitting down to breakfast with my parents one July morning in 1974. I had just returned from a six month motorcycle tour of Europe and North Africa and my father and I were both working for Electric Boat Company in Groton Connecticut. My father, a retired Navy officer and life long Republican, took a long look and his scrambled eggs and bacon and suddenly, seemingly blurted out of nowhere, "I've about had enough of Richard Nixon!" I reached down and picked my jaw up off the table, bit my tongue, and quietly realized that Nixon was finished.

I can't help but wonder if that in 2016 there aren't a certain number of old line Democrats for whom the lies piled upon lies and revelations piled upon revelations aren't building to that same sort of moment where the pile collapses of its own weight and they say, if not out loud as my father did, but to themselves, "I've about had enough of Hillary Clinton!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are of course welcome. Please stay on topic. Comments with links to commercial sites unrelated to the post or the general theme of this blog will be deleted as spam.